Running an appointment round
We provide guidance for our Public Appointments Advisers and for people running appointments rounds or sitting on selection panels.
The Code of Practice includes guidelines for panels to follow when running an appointment round. It does not specify how roles should be advertised or how applicants should be assessed. The Code is flexible. This gives panels the scope and the opportunity to tailor the methods they use to attract and assess applicants. The methods used should be designed to attract and assess the target pool of applicants every time an appointment round is run.
To help panels achieve this, we provide guidance about current good practice in recruitment and selection. This includes training for PAAs and one to one briefings for new selection panel chairs. We also provide a range of materials to assist. These include:
- A model agenda for planning an appointment round
- A handy reminder document covering key elements of the Code and guidance
- A guide on how to mitigate unconscious and other forms of bias during appointment rounds
- The core skills framework for chair and member appointments, designed in partnership with the Scottish Government
- A guide to assessment and recording assessments